Samsung: Notting Hill Carnival
In the Summer of 2020, Samsung tasked us with bringing to life and driving fame for their unique 8K technology featured in their Samsung’s Galaxy S20 phones and QLED TVs.
They wanted to reach a young urban audience and provide an antidote to the harsh realities of everyday news, actively demonstrating ‘the joy of tech’ in action – a creative platform which we helped to build the year before.
With Covid-19 cancelling summer 2020, staging one of the cultural moments of the year, Notting Hill Carnival was inconceivable. This left 40,000 dancers, chefs, and musicians without a platform to perform. Step forward Samsung’s 8K technology, with its vivid colour capture and 8K screen capabilities. We believed Samsung was perfectly placed to bring the unrivalled visuals of Carnival to life virtually, for the first time in its 50+ year history.
We brokered a unique partnership for Samsung to sponsor and create content for the first ever digital Notting Hill Carnival. We built a strategy around content that captured the heart and authenticity of Carnival, leveraging our unique opportunity to celebrate the people that make it happen.
From this, we built our content creative: a mini-series showcasing the key sensory pillars of NHC: sounds, tastes and colours. Featuring, among others, a troupe of Soca dancers, celebrated cooks like Levi Roots, famed costume designers and Samba musicians. In total, we produced over 60 individual short films for use across multiple social platforms, supporting it with an official trailer for the digital Carnival and a suite of editorial assets.
- 15 million+ views of content
- 2 million impressions on video content featured on official Carnival YouTube channel, from 52 countries around the globe
- 400+ media articles (20 national news outlets) – reach of over 38 million.
- 71% referenced Samsung Galaxy S20 and QLED TVs and 55% referenced 8k.
- Campaign content generated 700+ native impressions across Samsung channels, and 9,320 engagements
- Samsung achieved the largest SOV of any Notting Hill Carnival brand partner over Carnival weekend, achieving a SOV of 28% compared to Spotify’s 11% and Getty’s 10%